While ATMs offer convenience and 24/7 access, it’s equally important to stay safe and secure when using one.
- Be aware of your surroundings; leave immediately if you feel unsafe.
- Choose an ATM that is well lit and has a clear view of the surroundings.
- Be careful no one is loitering around the machine.
- If you sense anything out of the ordinary, cancel your transaction and leave.
- After using an ATM, put your cash and card away immediately.
- If someone follows you, go to a crowded, well-lit area and call the police.
- Count your cash after you are in a safe location away from public view.
- At a walk-up ATM, protect your Personal Identification Number (PIN) by covering the keypad and standing close to the machine.
- Never write down your PIN or share it with anyone.